Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kona Day 4 - Brasileiro & Hummus


It has been four days, and I just now met my first Brazilian! She just sat down at the table where Ava and I were eating dinner. It was like she knew I was part Brasileiro! :) She spoke some Portuguese to me, which helped to refresh my memory a little, and told me that she is actually on staff in China. She has been living there for the past 20 years! So she is actually Chinese Brazilian! It was so wonderful to talk to her, and she encouraged me so much. I had the same feeling I did back in January when I was in Brazil. We talked about waiting on God.
I also learned earlier today that one of my students is Brazilian! She is also special needs and when I met her on Friday, I loved her right away! She is going to encourage me everyday...I can already tell. The teacher that has been teaching my kids, Shauna, took me and Ava to lunch today and told me all about her. Shauna says she has an incredible story, and when her family was in Brasil last year, she had a part in changing the human rights laws there! She is such a special girl, and I know she is going to help me continue my Portuguese studies.
I actually met all of my 8 students on Friday, because it was picture day, and I got to take pictures with them. They are an incredible group of kids, and I can't wait to teach them!
Tomorrow will be my first day of observing the class. I won't actually be teaching them until Friday.
Ava also starts in her preschool tomorrow. As I was meeting random people when we first got here...the first thing I heard was awe and shock that Ava had actually gotten in to this preschool. Evidently there is a long waiting list to get into the preschool, and God just loved us enough to bend the rules and get us in! Her teacher's name is Feather, and the facility is amazing. It is partly outside and very open. Ava went in to visit, and is so excited about starting there. I think it will help her get into a routine and settle down. It has been somewhat difficult for her to adjust to the atmosphere here. There are just literally hundreds of kids here! Which is great...but Ava isn't used to being around so many peers of her own age. Be praying that she can get adjusted, and we can both figure out boundaries that work.
Almost all of the families in our building are Korean, and are so nice! Ava has learned one word in Korean....the word for "Hello" (I can't write it on here....and she goes around saying it to everyone! Even to people who are obviously not Korean!
Saturday we went to the beach...actually we walked three miles to the beach. There are a couple closer beaches...but the one we went to was the best. It had a little lagoon that was protected by rocks....so we didn't have to worry about sharks! It was so beautiful, and you can see straight down to the bottom!
So, please be praying that we find a bike soon! Also pray for our first days of school tomorrow.

We love you all, and are having a blast here!

oh....I almost forgot to explain why the title of this blog includes Hummus.....
Today after lunch, Shauna took us to......Costco! Can you believe it? It felt so much like home! And what did I find there but none other than the best, best, best hummus....the Edemame Hummus that my sister loves!

See you soon sister!

No comments: